- 1 large ripe watermelon (remove rind and sees)
- 4 cups of sugar
- 1.5 kg oranges
- 1 cup of water
- Slice watermelon into slivers and measure to make about 1kg of pulp.
- Place in a large bowl with 2 cups of sugar and let stand for 2-3 hours.
- Peel and see enough oranges to make 1kg.
- Slice oranges thinly and set aside.
- Remove white pitch from 2 of the orange peelings
- Cut the rind into thin strips and reserve
- Put watermelon mixture into a heavy based saucepan or boiler.
- Heat to boiling, then simmer, stirring frequently, approx. 50 minutes
- In another large heavy saucepan, dissolve remaining 2 cups of sugar in water.
- Add sliced oranges and reserved strips of rind.
- Heat to boiling, reduce hear and simmer, stirring frequently for 45-50 minutes.
- When both jams have almost thickened to desired consistency, add watermelon jam to orange jam
- Simmer until thickened.
- Remove from heat and stand 5 minutes.
- Pour into warm, sterilised jars and seal. When cool, label and date.
Luscious Orange Watermelon Dessert
- 600 ml plain yoghurt
- 200 ml Orange Watermelon Jam
- 2 tablespoons of gelatine
- 1/4 cup of orange juice
- 2 tablespoons of orange rind
- 300ml thickened cream
- Combine yoghurt with jam.
- Dissolve gelatine in orange juice.
- Heat juice and gelatine in microwave to dissolve.
- Add to combined yoghurt mixture with grated orange rind
- Allow to partially set
- Whip cream and fold through.
- Spoon into glass serving dishes.
- Chill to set.
- Serve with chilled watermelon slices and orange segments.