- 4 eggs
- 6 ounces or 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 5 1/4 ounces or 1 1/4 cups of SR Flour
- 4 tablespoons hot water in which is melted 1 teaspoon butter
- Beat eggs until thick and creamy
- Add caster sugar gradually, 1 dessertspoon at a time, until sugar is dissolved
- Fold in flour. A flexible spatula is great for doing this because it folds in the air easily which is important in aerating the sponge so it will rise nicely.
- Lastly, fold in the hot water in which the butter has been melted.
- Bake in a moderately hot oven (about 200 degrees) until done.
- The sponge is done when a light finger touch to the cake has the cake bouncing back
- Cool before sandwiching and decorating with Vienna Cream
- 250 grams butter, soft Icing mixture. (Do not use Pure Icing Sugar)
- Vanilla essence
- Cream butter
- Gradually add icing mixture. This is a matter of judgment but you will need at least 250 grams
- Add a capful of vanilla essence
- Gradually and sparingly add a little milk
- The whole should be white, creamy, thick yet spreadable
- Judgment needs to be used. If it is too buttery, add more sugar. If you have added too much icing mixture, add more butter. If you have added a little too much milk, add more icing mixture
- Sandwich cakes together with cream.
- Your favourite jam can be spread before sandwiching with Vienna Cream.
- Spread Vienna Cream on top and decorate as desired.