Animals Australia: the voice for animals

Animals Australia: the voice for animals
Love life? Love all of life

Wednesday, November 14, 2007

These Chocolate Peppermint Drops are lovely morsels. They have a touch of glam which makes them at home on any occasion. The recipe is from the Carnation Cookbook lent to me by Gina. The drops are more a batter than a dough - which could mean other possibilities.
I have included the Vanilla Icing from the book. I used my usual butter icing for which I have no precise recipe. Cream butter and icing sugar, add vanilla or other flavouring, add milk (or juice). Then its a matter of varying that for desired consistency and/or flavour.
I left out the nuts. I am not a big nut fan. And I decided that if the icing had a peppermint flavour then it should be coloured green. So the biscuits are topped with green butter icing and chocolate sprinkles. I think they would look at home as Christmas Fare. Let me know what you think. And please let me know if you work any interesting variations.
CHOCOLATE PEPPERMINT DROPS
Ingredients · 1 ¼ cups plain flour · ¼ teaspoon salt · ½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda · 125g butter or margarine · ¾ cup castor sugar · 1 egg · 1 teaspoon vanilla essence · 60 g cooking chocolate, melted · ½ cup Carnation Evaporated Milk · ½ cup chopped nuts (walnuts, pecans, etc) Method · Sift flour, salt and soda together · Cream butter or margarine, sugar, egg and vanilla until light and fluggy · Add chocolate, mix well. · Add dry ingredients alternatively with evaporated milk and mix well. · Lastly, fold in nuts. · Drop teaspoonfuls of mixture on to an ungreased baking sheet 5cm apart. · Bake in a moderately hot over 190 degrees Celsius for 8-10 minutes. · Cool on wire rack. · Decorate with peppermint flavoured Vanilla Butter Icing
VANILLA BUTTER ICING
Ingredients · 2 ½ cups sifted icing sugar · 40 grams (2 tablespoons) butter or margarine · ¼ cup Carnation Evaporated Milk · ¼ teaspoon vanilla essence Method · Combine sugar with butter/marg, milk, vanilla, beating until smooth and creamy Variations · PEPPERMINT CHIP: Lastly fold in ¼ cup crushed peppermint candy bar · ORANGE: Lastly fold in grated rind of 1 orange · LEMON: Lastly fold in granted rind of 1 lemon · COFFEE: Combine 1-2 tablespoons inst coffee with i/sugar, continue as directed.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Aside from the previous post on exploitation, doesn't chocolate get a reputation (teehee): aphrodisiac, comfort food, addictive substance. Just because the human race thinks its absolutely gorgeous. Wonder what the Calvinistic Swiss would have made of Tim Tams (for non-Australian readers use the search facility for this blog to find posts about Tim Tams)?

Jeanna said...

Yikes, that Pathway to Health spammer sure gets around. Left the exact same comment on my blog which I deleted. But I like those cookies. I read about Tim Tams on an Brit candy blog posted by an Aussie. They sound as good as those cookies.

ShareThis