Animals Australia: the voice for animals

Animals Australia: the voice for animals
Love life? Love all of life

Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Jam Drops - from thumbprints or fingerprints

Woof Nanny recently posted on what she referred to as an American Classic - the thumbprint cookie. I knew immediately what she meant and the photograph confirmed it. Because, after all, it is an Australian Classic - the Jam Drop. And the recipe I am about to give is from that other Aussie Classic, Amy Schauer, in my family's cooking bible: The Schauer Australian Cookery Book.
APRICOT OR RASPBERRY DROPS
Cream 4oz butter and 4oz sugar to a cream, add 2 well-beaten eggs, beat well in. Add 6oz sieved flour and 6oz cornflour, 1 level teaspoon of cream tartar, 1/2 teaspoon crush bi-carb. soda. Mix well through, roll into small balls with the fingers, and make a smal well in the centre of each with the finger-tips; in this put 1/2 teaspoon of raspberry or apricot jam, and place on cold floured tray. Bake in quick oven 10 to 15 minutes until a golden brown.
Miss Eagle's Notes
  • I prefer a little less cornflour and use 8 oz plain flour and 4 oz cornflour
  • I place the biscuits on a greased and floured tray
  • A quick oven is a hot oven - so about 200 or 220 degrees Celsius - and keep any eye on them
A must for the biscuit barrel or cookie jar

2 comments:

woof nanny said...

Oh how fun. Thanks for the shout out. I am back online but still so behind on blog reading, so I apologize for my late comment here. I recently posted a bread recipe you might like if you can get the conversions correctly (that's the hard part).

Miss Eagle said...

Read about your technical vicissitudes. Glad to have you visit once again. I think I've seen that but will check it out again.

Blessings and bliss

ShareThis